The headline in my mind read: If you find yourself in the middle of success, you have about 14 minutes left...
I discourage easy, and it has always been by the sweat of my brow from which I have gained success or seen any fruit from my labors or talent. So when I read up on someone who has been given a few professional acting gigs straight out of high school, I think to myself "What would I be like if given the same thing?"
One thing is evident; It would've prolonged my missionary experience. It probably would've gone to my head and my collegiate experience would've been cut short. I would not have the breadth of knowledge that I do now. That loaf would've been given to someone else. I don't think I like that idea. So I will continue to stick with what I've got, being periodically discouraged by luck, and firm firm roots upon which I built my own treehouse. That person has unknowingly forfeited their firm foundation. And great will be the fall thereof.
I feel sorry for this person. I feel bad for when it crashes down on them, or more likely, they hit that ceiling of training and then slam into the floor again because they were whisked away by the success bug. It is a bad thing to have too much success too early in life. If you're given everything, then you learn nothing. It is from your losses that you learn your lessons.
One instance that really bugged me until I had a moment of clarity was on my mission...(warning, mission story) I was ticked that I was never promoted to more than a District Leader. I felt like I could and, surely would, be a Zone Leader, even an Assistant to the President, for I was a hard worker, a little more mature, and a quick study. It wasn't until my last zone conference that I understood that I was not to be either of these because along the way I had gained as much, maybe even more, knowledge as any of these people in these positions, and could offer advice to them instead of them to me. So, I know there is a reason for things working out the way they do, you just have to remember that it is all under control. And be thankful that you are not given success right away, for you may not need it to succeed. (sounds stupid, but it makes sense. I promise)
So, finally, my record feels like 3-11, but I've learned more than I could've if I was 14 and 0. The underdog gets the worm!
ps. the password to the treehouse is "panty"
1 comment:
ha ha ha. panty. awesome.
also, your advice at the end was spoken directly to me. I needed that. THank you.
"So, I know there is a reason for things working out the way they do, you just have to remember that it is all under control. And be thankful that you are not given success right away, for you may not need it to succeed. "
Post a Comment