Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Inception

I was just not that awful impressed with this film. I wish I was. I could share in the amazement of my fellow man.
Problems with it:
1. Script. I felt like the script was spoon fed to us all. There was no mystery associated with it, it was all given to you. The edit could have given us a little more cut here. They could have cut out any allusion to his wife going to definitely be his crux. Give us some stuff to think about, let us discover things. Everything was explained. BLLAARRGHH!
2. The Physics. We had a lot given to us at the beginning of the film, but the physics mysticism fizzled. Cool fun special effects, but I don't know if it was enough for a dream within a dream within a dream film.
3. Dicaprio. He seemed not connected to the material. Was it just me? I'm going to have to check some of the reviews. I did however really like the fellow from Bronson. He was good, real and raw and connected.
4. I knew the twist at the end within the first 10 minutes. Maybe just a great guess, but having watched The Prestige earlier in the day (also directed by Nolan) I knew that the title encapsulated the film.
Maybe its just my training in the arts, maybe all movies have lost their charm, and are formulaic, but it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I thought Inglorious Basterds was a much better movie.
Love
L

1 comment:

Melissa robison said...

I think it is your training/genius that makes it hard to surprise you in film.

I agree about the script, but also enjoyed the movie because it was a new script that I hadn't seen a bajillion times.

:)