Thursday, August 5, 2010

Prop Ocho

Today, one man overruled the majority vote of Californians, saying that the majority was wrong in voting for a law to be passed that would not allow gays to be married.
So, either this is good, or Democracy is dead.
I think the latter, and I think it is only inevitable. I think I am being prepared for something, like constant hate speech and mud slinging because no matter what I say, even if I am opposing that the judge should not be overturning the vote of 7 million people. This is not a Monarchy.

Its times like these that make me wonder what life would be like if I would have heeded my state presidents advice and council when I moved back up to Ogden " Come to institute, and I promise you that you will be blessed with good friends" I went to institute like 2 times, and Im just now getting over it. I have met and been associated with some of the most miserable people I have ever met in Ogden. It must be a breeding ground for them because it was like that waaaay before I ever got there.
I wish I would have gone to institute. I would not be associated with people who tell me I'm "hopeless" or "always saying things that are meant to offend" or that I'm a "bigot" without even asking me any questions about my point of view. I am a good person. I stand for what I believe in and I WONT SHUT UP! I WILL NEVER BE SILENCED! YOU WILL HAVE TO DRAG ME THROUGH THE STREETS AND CUT OUT MY TONGUE. I WILL NOT BE QUIET.

(sigh)

I do think that this will not pass the supreme court. If it does, God will be here very soon. That or the church will extract from California, and then all churches will except the non denominational ones, and then Cali will fall in to the ocean and then it will be blamed on Bush.

It never ceased to amaze me the logic of Liberals. I got called names today and people I know tried to vilify me and demean me, yet they are screaming acceptance...

14 comments:

Steve-O said...

Does it hurt? To be that fucking stupid?

chart said...

http://www.teachersdomain.org/assets/wgbh/adlit08/adlit08_img_saagovt3/adlit08_img_saagovt3.gif

Democracy isn't dead, it's our system of checks and balances working exactly as the founding fathers planned.

Quas said...

I know, see there Steve-0 is doing exactly what a liberal would do. Must be a college student from california.

chart: if its working exactly how it should, why didnt they try the lawsuit in utah?

chart said...

...because it's a California issue and it was tried in the appropriate court. Besides the other side would claim bias if it were held here. It's going through the process exactly as it should, the issue is far from decided.

Steve-O said...

Well, I'm not a liberal but yes, I do go to college. Obviously you have not from the dramatic lack of intelligence I see in your posts. I imagine that you are one of those anti-education types who believes that schools are liberal/socialist breeding grounds. You types are so predictable: stupid, superficial, ignorant and boring.

Quas said...

Yes Steve-Zero, I can barely read.
And yes...you're liberal.

Chart- It sounds like an American issue, It was not tried here against the Utah constitution because it would fail here. Its working the system. And overturning 7 Million votes with one persons opinion makes me wonder...what good is my vote if it can be overturned by a judge?!

chart said...

You're very wrong, there are things called federal judicial districts. Utah is not in district 9, it was tried in the right court. What the hell does Utah's constitution have to do with a California issue? The issue has nothing to do with Utah at all. Regardless how would a decision in a Utah court be any more valid? It's clearly NOT working the system. Do you really not have any idea of how the system of checks and balances was designed to work in this country?

chart said...

BTW, Judge walker is considered a conservative judge. He was originally nominated by Reagan and his appointment was held up for two years by Democrats because they considered him too conservative.

Quas said...

Same sex marriage can be tried in any state where the constitution of the state say it can be established by the people.
The system of checks and balances have nothing to do with this issue. This is the minority dictating to the majority what should and shouldn't be when the majority has already decided.
And I know the judge was appointed by a republican which doesn't matter either. What is important is their track record.

chart said...

It's amazing how wrong you are! This case is about PROP 8!!!! A California issue! What you're arguing is absurd! You clearly do not have even a basic understanding of the issue and how the judicial system works. It has EVERYTHING to do with checks and balances. The courts are meant to protect the rights of the minority, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Brad Hart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brad Hart said...

Well, I was a bit reluctant to comment but I'm bored today so I'll give it a whirl. Here's my $0.02:

While I agree with Quas (Luke) that it seems wrong for one judge to be able to overturn 7 million+ voters, Chart is right that this is not unconstitutional. James Madison (and others) established this system of "checks and balances" that allow judges to overturn the will of the people. Now, on the surface this sounds bad but it's really not. It's a fundamental component of the federal constitution and we should be glad. It protects certain segments of society from unfair/unconstitutional decisions that the masses favor. In other words, if the populace vote in favor of something that is unconstitutional, this "check" comes into play.

Now, I am not saying I agree that this Prop. 8 decision is a good example of this. Quite the contrary. I detest Judge Walker's decision. However, we shouldn't be saying that "democracy is dead." It's not. The laws of our republic allow for this judge to do what he did...whether we like it or not. I'd recommend to everyone that they read Madison's "Federalist Papers #10." You'll see that this "checks and balances" system is playing out just how they wanted...though I doubt they would have agreed with it being used in this bogus case.

Brad Hart said...

As for Judge Vaughn Walker, well, I think he was the last person that should have ruled on this. Yes, Craig is right that he's a Libertarian judge and that Reagan supported him (while Pelosi hated him) but check this out. It turns out that Judge Walker is GAY HIMSELF:

Anyone else see a conflict of interest here?

No worries. This shit is gonna be struck down by the Supreme Court in a 5-4 vote...assuming they hear the case.

Quas said...

Im not wrong. Its exactly what happened. The system was worked and exploited. Its bullshit to say otherwise.